Lithuania has a long-standing tradition of higher education and offers a warm environment for foreigners. The higher education institutions are of two types: universities and colleges (non-university higher education institutions). University studies provide a universal academic education, theoretical training and the highest level of professional excellence. University studies are offered by universities, academies and seminaries. 22 colleges (including 10 independent) and 21 universities (including 8 independent) offer study programmes in Lithuania.
A wide variety of Lithuanian universities offer more than 500 study programmes, taught in English, that foreign students could choose from. Students can choose to study full-time or part-time. Several universities offer spring intake.
Higher education degrees are offered in three cycles:
Bachelor; Master; PhD.
The academic year starts in September and ends in mid-June and is divided into two semesters – spring and autumn. Students can opt to study full-time or part-time.Requirements:
Students who want to enroll in institutions of higher education in Lithuania should meet the following requirements. Students must have education documents recognized in the Republic of Lithuania. The evaluation and recognition of your school-leaving certificates and higher education qualifications is carried out accordingly.Students seeking access to studies in Lithuania have to be proficient in the language of instruction:
The studies are in English, you will either need a certificate proving your language level (higher education institutions have their own requirements on the score needed), or pass the language proficiency test provided by the higher education institutionPopular Universities:
Education and Living Costs:
Tuition fees at Higher Education institutions in Lithuania vary depending on each university, specific study programme and the academic stage the student is at. On average, the studies in Lithuania cost:
from 1.300 EUR per year for Bachelor studies; from 2.300 EUR per year for Master studies; from 8.400 EUR per year for PhD studies.Living Expenses:
One striking advantage for those who choose to study in Lithuania is the remarkably low cost of living. Student accommodation can be had for as little as 100 EUR per month. All in all, including food, books and leisure activities, students can easily get by on a budget of 500 EUR per month or less.
Students of all fields, lecturers, and researchers of foreign countries are eligible to apply for Lithuanian state scholarships. In most cases, scholarships cover both – tuition fees and living expenses. Financial provisions depend on the home country of an applicant. Also, most Lithuanian universities offer scholarships from their own funds to students who satisfy the specified requirements. Interested students should apply to the specific Higher Education institution of their choice to find out if funding is available for their studies.
An alien who is a student arriving in the Republic of Lithuania to consecutive full-time studies at a higher education establishment operating in the Republic of Lithuania should apply for a multiple entry national visa D, which could be applied for only at Lithuanian Embassy.
- Completed Electronic Visa Application Form, 1 recent passport photo 35×45 colorful, with white background.
- A valid travel document - passport (containing at least 2 blank pages, issued within the previous 10 years, its period of validity must exceed the validity period of the requested visa by at least six months).
- A valid medical insurance, covering the duration of stay. It must be valid in all participant states of the Schengen Area. The amount of insurance must not be less than EUR 30,000.
- A confirmed Air ticket reservation.
- Mediation letter electronically submitted through MIGRIS by the Lithuanian scholastic institution (the Visa Office must be provided with the mediation application number).
- Proof of financial means (365 EUR for every month of planned stay and 730 EUR to return to the country of origin) in the Republic of Lithuania
- Original private bank statement showing movements in the last three months, duly stamped and signed by the bank;
- Indian income tax return acknowledgment for the last two assessment years
- In case of sponsorship - Affidavit of Sponsorship from parents/relatives and their proof of financial means.
- Documents, providing educational background (legalized)